I'm trying to obtain the boundaries of shapefile, thus to clean the inside as a matter of speaking. While I had expected that dissolve while get me a proper polygon, unfortunately it still has some remainders. How could I get rid of them?

Does QGIS have a tool similar to Repair Geometry?

Here's the source

enter image description here

Result below:

enter image description here

  • Could you add two source polygons which lead to bad result as WKT into your question?
    – user30184
    Commented May 23, 2015 at 20:20
  • Sorry, but I didn't quite understood your question. What I'm using is a polygon-type shapefile that has multiple fields.
    – Geosphere
    Commented May 23, 2015 at 20:23
  • possible duplicate of How to close spaces within a polygon in QGIS 2.2?
    – Chris W
    Commented May 23, 2015 at 20:37
  • Then, if GRASS GIS is a solution. Could you kindly give me an answer to this one? gis.stackexchange.com/questions/148351/…
    – Geosphere
    Commented May 23, 2015 at 20:39
  • 1
    I meant that you should try to simplify the problem by finding only two polygons which yield a bad result as dissolved. With Well Known Text presentation you could share the data and others could play with those and perhaps suggest a solution.
    – user30184
    Commented May 23, 2015 at 21:34

2 Answers 2


You can use grass, tool named v.clean. There, you set rmarea. The threshold parameter will be in unit of theme. All feature which have area less than treshold will be deleted.

  • Hi! Thank you for replying. That's what I used in the end, GRASS GIS's v.clean module.
    – Geosphere
    Commented Sep 2, 2015 at 16:12
  • 1
    I used to it in qgis because is more easy than grass natively. Commented Sep 2, 2015 at 16:41
  • Technically, I did the same thing using the Toolbox. I just selected one of the geoalgorithms which were GRASS GIS's.
    – Geosphere
    Commented Sep 3, 2015 at 7:41
  • 1
    Good!! I am glad to help you! Commented Aug 5, 2016 at 12:30

Just to add to this - in QGIS 3 there is now a native tool that does this called "Fix Geometries" Read about it here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.