I'm trying to locate or find out if there is a standard style for municipal infrastructure. Specifically Canadian (Provincial BC, AB) standards for symbolizing water, sewer, valves, hydrants etc.

1 Answer 1


Got these from the Natural Resources Canada web site. It has most of the symbols you need.

enter image description here

enter image description here

As for the exact symbols, I found this answer from an ESRI forum which I think is a good answer so I'll just post it here anyway for the benefit of people who are seeking the same information.

Mapping Center Answer:

We would suggest starting with the information available through the (CGDI) Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure site. Searching for styles specific to industry standards would be something that ESRI Canada may have links to through their customer support. There is a very good recent white paper article called ESRI Technology for the Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure (CGDI) that explains the effort to organized Canadian GIS standards.

As an example, if you are looking for standards specific to Canadian structures, (examples: Provincial BC, AB) for symbolizing water, sewer, hydrants etc, it may be somewhat challenging to find specific styles -- many are kept as assets that are not shared by the authoring organization and are considered proprietary. We would go with trying through the ESRI Canada site and see if they can put you in contact with the individual government entities that are in charge.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.