I would like to classify DEM into some classes, into a shp file with equal intervals of 200m (0-200m, 200-400m, 400-600m... 3400-3600m, higher than 3600m), by using Model Builder in ArcGIS 10.2.
For example, if the DEM file ranges from 170-3700m, this is how I did in model builder:
- I use extract by mask to clip the DEM area of interest.
- I use raster calculator to select all the ranges. (Expressions: 0-200m, 200-400m, 400-600m... 3400-3600m, higher than 3600m)
- extract areas of value 1.
- convert files generated from step 3 to shp files.
- dissolve files generated from step 4.
- add a column in each shp files to indicate the class of each shp file.
- assign value to each shp file.
- merge all the shp files.
The attribute table of the final file would be like this:
The concept map is like this:
Is there any better way to do the classification?
I hope the model could judge the range of the input DEM file and classify it automatically, otherwise I will need to make changes every time. For instance, if another DEM file ranges from 700- 1200m. The model would have errors telling me that there is nothing exist in 0-200m and the model will stop running.