This question already has an answer here:

I'm not quite sure if I'm phrasing this right. It's just occurred to me that lat/longs are two dimensional coordinates like any other projected coordinate system, so it's presumably possible to create a two dimensional map based on these unprojected coordinates.

It would obviously be centred on the point (0,0) (off the west coast of Africa, on the equator), and the 180 meridian would be exactly on the left and right borders.

Is there a name for this kind of "non-projection"? Presumably there are images of it, but I'm just not sure what to look for.

marked as duplicate by PolyGeo Jun 15 '15 at 4:49

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


It looks like the standard term for this is an "unprojected map". There's an example here: http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/mapproj/gif/unproj.gif

  • 5
    aka Plate Carrée – Vince Jun 15 '15 at 3:41
  • And "equirectangular, equidistant cylindrical, simple cylindrical, or rectangular" apparently! – Steve Bennett Jun 15 '15 at 4:00
  • It looks like Geographic. Kind of ok at working out what's left/right above/below something but not much good at anything else... you couldn't take an accurate bearing or measurement. – Michael Stimson Jun 15 '15 at 4:08

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.