I would like to buffer features into an existing FC within a GDB, similar to when buffering during an edit session by using the Buffer command in the Editor menu, not the Buffer geoprocess which creates a new FC.
Is there a way to do this in model builder? I can only find the buffering geoprocess tool that makes a new FC. I did consider using this, then selecting the features in the new FC and appending them into the existing FC but that adds a bunch of steps, however so far that seems like the way to get it done.
Ideally I would have a model where:
- the user points to a FC to buffer
- chooses the type of record in the FC to buffer
- chooses which FC to buffer the features into
- the model selects by attribute to focus on those records
- creates buffers for the records in the existing FC
- updates field values in the existing buffer FC for the new records to record what type of record they are from step 2
Any advice on that?