I'm interested in locating free GIS shapefile data representing the US / Mexican border. I have found a point layer depicting the border crossing points but I'm interested in a polyline feature representing the actual border.

  • Texas Sector boundaries may follow County edges. You can get County Bnd's from Census.gov.
    – klewis
    Apr 18, 2016 at 23:32
  • For open data I recommend researching/asking at the Open Data Stack Exchange.
    – PolyGeo
    May 7, 2018 at 2:30

5 Answers 5


You can obtain the line shapefile for the Mexican border from the U.S. Geological Survey website (or click here directly). Scroll down and from the list of Categories, select the Boundaries option. Then from the Int Boundary layer, click the Shapefile link:


Highlighted boundary with OpenLayers

You will also get the length of each line feature (as the boundary is broken up into segments).

Length of each line feature

Hope this helps!

  • Thanks everyone for the rapid and helpful answers appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. Cheers
    – user8083
    Jul 7, 2015 at 15:15

Sometimes INEGI can help! from our side (México), and depends of what you want to do with that, look in this site:


click in "Areas geoestadisticas estatales"


There are a multitude of potential sources for this, but the US State Department Office of the Geographer is the authoritative US source for international boundaries. The Large Scale International Boundaries (LSIB) dataset is the reference work from which all maps generated by the US government are to be derived. The Humanitarian Information Unit has a distribution website for LSIB data.


For country borders and those on lower administrative levels, have a look at gadm. I think the datasets are free for non-commercial use.


International Boundary & Water Commission USA and Mexico has a link of GIS.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.