I need to calculate the location of polygons along the route in ArcGIS (ArcInfo) 9 or 10. What I have already found out is only the calculation of the start and end of the intersection of a polygon with the route. But in my case I need to attribute all the polygons along the route, many of them do not intersect the route at all. The route is one and continuous.
I would need (at best) to get the following values:
- Route measure of the polygon starting (aside from the route, by the shortest perpendicular line). Measures to be specified left or right side from the route (as the route measures increase) - probably +/- values
- Route measure of the polygon ending (same)
- Distance of the nearest polygon edge to the right from a route (zero if intersects)
- Distance of the nearest polygon edge to the left from a route (zero if intersects)
- Distance of the farthest polygon edge to the right from a route
- Distance of the farthest polygon edge to the left from a route
This probably has something to do with VBA, Python or something - if so, please paste the code, since I'm not familiar with any scripting, unfortunately. I bet the problem is common (locating natural hazard sites along a road, for example), but googling and search in ArcGIS help didn't gave me any result. Also, there may be extensions doing that, but my search in ArcScripts didn't yield.