When creating point symbology with Esri software, we can use points, in, cm, or mm as a unit of measurement.

Due to the fact that there are a few definitions of a "pt" or point, which of the following definitions should be used?

  1. Didot point (0.376065 mm)
  2. Pica point (0.3514 mm)
  3. DTP point (0.3528 mm)
  • For what it's worth, I've always heard the units referred to as points and picas - I've never heard 'pica point'. I'd also never heard of Didots either, but I don't study typography that much. The Wikipedia page (for whatever that's worth) notes that DTP has been established as "the de facto standard". – Chris W Jul 20 '15 at 21:13

Point sizes are..

Points are a standard graphic measurement unit equal to 1/72 of and inch

or in metric 0.352778mm

So DTP point is the answer to your question.


This is a VBA Tool for calculating point sizes at set scales

Point Size at Map Scale Calculator http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisdesktop/com/samples/Cartography/Labeling_and_Annotation/PointSizeCalculator/visual_basic/frmconversion.frm.htm

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.