I am trying to get ArcMap 10.2.2 to place my labels where I want them using the Maplex label engine. I want to stop the labels from both overlapping other features in the same layer, and overlapping a text annotation layer. The result I am getting with my current settings is this:
As you can see, the two red labels overlap the annotation text (and a bit of a feature too) even though at least one of them should fit into the white available area. It seems like Maplex doesn't consider the low priority user defined zones.
I have the following settings:
- Position: Offset, and user defined zones where to place them. (Starting from 12 o'clock the wheel reads 7, 3, 1, 4, 8, 5, 2, 6.)
- Label offset of 1 mm, maximum 500% of desired.
- No fitting strategy in use.
- Never remove as conflict resolution. If I uncheck this, the two red labels are not shown at all.
- 0% label buffer.
- The feature class has a weight of 1000 (I have tried various other values, but it does not help).
- The text annotations has weight "high".
- Using "Best", not "Fast".
Please let me know if any other settings are of interest, and I will add them.
I know that label fitting is more of an art than a science, but I want MapLex to utilize all the available space.