What are the options for rendering tm2 projects? As far as I know the open source Mapbox tm2 projects have proprietary data sources (like OSM Bright 2), thus they are of little use, but some other projects have available sources, for example:
- OSM Bright fork from Wikimedia
- MapQuest Carto Style
- Natural Earth from MapBox
- Thank you map from Yohan Boniface
How is it possible to make a PNG rendering tile server which uses one of these styles as input source? Are these even compatible with each other, or they prefer to be within their own pipeline?
Do I understand right that it has to be a 2 pass rendering:
- For creating the Mapnik vector tiles in PBF format (using the PostGIS backend)
- For taking the PBF tile file + styling information and rendering a PNG out of it
I see that there are some solutions which solve one part. For example:
- Kosmtik can rasterize
- Avecado can create PBF files, but the server part is only for testing
- Kartotherian can kind of do everything but uses dozens of outside modules. On the other hand it is really well documented and it might be the only out-of-the-box solution so far
- Mapzen's vector datasource can create and serve PBF files
- Mapzen's TileStache fork looks like a serious fork but is without documentation or mentioning what it is capable of
- The Mapbox stack is kind of open sourced, but without documentation so it's really hard for anyone to figure out how to use it (as mentioned by Andy Allan in his presentation below)
- Andy Allan presented Vtiler + Hailstorm + Weatherman but I couldn't find anything about them
- The tessera server seems interesting and can serve from tm2 styles, but it's not clear how can I make it pre-render and cache PBF files.
Can someone explain how to make the simplest possible PostGIS -> PBF -> PNG rendering pipeline? Wouldn't it be a simple 2 pass rendering with mapnik-vector-tile?