Error occurs under Windows in QGIS 2.8.3 and 2.10.1, answers to similar questions e.g. 57418 have not helped.
The shapefile in question was created as follows:
- Vector/GPS/GPS tools/Load GPX file (Routes)
- Layer / save as ESRI shapefile [....\epsg4326\routes.shp]
The failing sequence is:
- Start a new map/add vector layer [routes.shp]
- Open attribute table
- Add new column AREA [decimal real width=17 precision=8]
- Manually edit both AREA values to verify format.
- Select all entries [2 entries]
- Field calculator / existing /AREA / geometry / $area
Always get NULL
I have tried countless combinations of width and precision for AREA. I have uninstalled/reinstalled/installed different releases. All to no avail.
What's up Doc?
Beginning to smell a rat in the direction of either the GPS tool or the shapefile. Starting with the shapefile, how may I independently verify it?