How can I overlap a relief base map taken from maps-for-free.com and this png-formated map so that I can get a resulting map with relief of the 1st map and boundaries of the 2nd map ?? I'm a beginner. I don't know if QGIS has any functionality like that ? I use QGIS version 2.10.1-Pisa and my operating system is Windows 7 x64bit.
- Here you were thoroughly answered on how to add your basemap (first map) in QGIS
- What you need to do next is called georeferencing.
- Go to plugins and make sure that Georeferencer GDAL is on
- menu Raster\Georeferencer
- add your second map
- add at least 6 points from your second map getting coordinates for each from your first map (also feel free to add more basemaps if the first one is not enough)
- Create new vector layer (lines or polygons depending on what you need in the end). Layer\Create Layer\New shapefile
- Digitize boundaries from the second map.
Digitizing and georeferencing are covered in QGIS Manual.