I know that the block group is a polygon but the Census Gazetteer files provide a lat/long for census tracts here - https://www.census.gov/geographies/reference-files/time-series/geo/gazetteer-files.2010.html

Where can I get this for the census block group level?

The FCC provides an API that converts LATLONG to CENSUS BLOCK GROUP but Id like the reverse (https://geo.fcc.gov/api/census/)- maybe I'm being vacuous?

1 Answer 1


Not sure which software you are using.

This can be accomplished by getting the centroids of the Census Block Group polygons.

  • Thanks - this question assumes software agnostics. Does that mean I open a shapefile of the block groups from here - census.gov/cgi-bin/geo/shapefiles/… and then calculate the centroid and then export ? Im surprised someone has not already done this ..1
    – vr00n
    Commented Nov 2, 2015 at 15:28
  • Sure. In ArcMap for instance, you would use Feature to Point and get the resulting points with lat/longs for the center of each Block.
    – Maksim
    Commented Nov 2, 2015 at 15:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.