I want to derive soil Moisture for a region using Landsat and Microwave data could you please help me with the procedure.
There are two ways to get at this.
ESRI and ArcGIS Online
You can access and display soil moisture using data using ArcGIS's pipeline to Landsat Imagery.
- Copy the
- Using ArcGIS Online create a new map and add the data location from Step 1 into the map using the Add Data button. Select Add Layer From Web.
- Paste Link from Step 1 into dialogue box that pops up
- Select the More Options function (three blue dots at end of the layer)
- Select Image Display
- Select Normalized Difference Moisture Index Colorized
- Click Apply. Click Close.
- MAKE SURE TO DO THIS!!! - Go to More Options Again. Click Disable Time Animation. If you do not do this you will just get a giant brown blob of the world.
Raw Landsat Data
- Go find out where in the world you will be looking for data using Landsat Live
- Gather the #LC8 (e.g. #LC8172050215305LGN00) number from the Raw Imagery window pane.
- Gather the file number (e.g. #LC8172050215305LGN00) then go to Landsat on AWS using the link format
http://landsat-pds.s3.amazonaws.com/L8/172/050/LC81720502015305LGN00/index.html Replace 015 with the Path and replace 033 with the Row. Then gather the title _B6 and _B7 from the link.
- Hint. The link(http://landsat-pds.s3.amazonaws.com/L8/172/050/LC81720502015305LGN00/index.html) structure is cut up from the input of the original #LC8 from step 2. L8/172/050/...(see Path/Row in Landsat Live Image from Step 2)
- Take the imagery into your desired software and manipulate the bands as you see fit.