If not all ArcGIS tools support both foreground and background Geoprocessing, then how can I tell whether a tool will run in the foreground or run in the background?
The tools that do not run in the background are listed on the help page entitled Background Geoprocessing (64-bit):
Tools that do not run in the background include the following:
- Tools inside the Metadata conversion toolset
- Tools inside the Geodatabase administration toolset
- All Coverage tools
- Tools which create packages
- Graphing tools (64-bit geoprocessing only; these tools work in traditional 32-bit background processing)
- Custom script, model, or function tools where the author has disabled background processing
Any script or script tools you run while inside Desktop honors the background processing setting.
I encourage you to visit the help page for more information.