In the last couple of days, everytime I save an mxd file an xml file is created with an identical file name (obviously with .xml rather than .mxd at the end) in the same folder that I've saved the mxd into. Please see below for my test save to see an example, apologies for the really appalling resolution. Anyway I don't know whether there is a simply an option I've selected without realising, however I've checked all the options I can within ArcMap and can't seem to find a solution. Anyway it's very annoying as I have to trawl through folders of ArcMap documents to find all these unnecessary mxds. Also if I delete them it seems to have no effect on the functionality of the mxd file. Any help is much appreciated.
Edit: I forgot to mention I'm using ArcGIS 10 on an ArcView license mostly. However, it also occurs if I am using an ArcInfo license.
Another edit: I opened the xml file in notepad and it contained the following text:
<FrameworkConfig TagName="FrameworkConfig" Name="FrameworkConfig" <AliasName="FrameworkConfig"> <DefaultConfig> <TemplateView TagName="TemplateView"> <ApLayers TagName="ApLayers" /> </TemplateView> <ProgParams> <RasterLocation /> <VectorLocation /> <SchemaDatabaseLocation /> <DllPath>C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\ESRI.APWR.ApFramework\22.214.171.124__0e46c6306d55f57a\</DllPath> <HelpFileName /> <Debug>31</Debug> <LoadedDateTime>13/12/2011 8:17:07 AM</LoadedDateTime> </ProgParams> </DefaultConfig> </FrameworkConfig>