I am a Newbie using ArcGIS 10.3 for Desktop:
After importing a whole watershed streams Layer, I selected by location a subset of the streams which was already defined with a separate name. "intersect the layer feature", thus the subset streams become highlighted
To take out a piece of the selected subset I did the following:
- got closet to the area to be extracted using the + zoom tool
- activated the "select features" button for an interactive selection
- ensured that only one layer become affected by the changes: Table of Contents, Make This The Only Selectable Layer, -Then: Selection, Make This the Only Selectable Layer
- Then: Selection, Remove From Current Selection
- clicked and dragged small box over a part of the feature... and there was no extraction. What did happen was that the subset lost its highlighted status which depicted the streams that were related with the larger watershed.