I'm a forester, and I do lots of work with LiDAR derived DEM's. I'm looking for a quick-and-easy tool to calculate the slope between two points. The application for this would be drawing a proposed road, where the slope of each road segment must be below a certain value. After quite a bit of searching, I'm unable to find a tool to accomplish this in ArcMap. Can anyone suggest an existing tool to accomplish this?
I don't need the slope along the surface of a DEM; I simply need a FAST way to calculate the straight-line slope between two points. Currently, the only way I'm able to do this is as follows:
- Load DEM into ArcMap.
- Create a new shapefile.
- Create a line feature with a single segment.
- Get the elevation values for the lines two vertices from the underlying DEM.
- Use math to calculate the slope of the straight line between the two vertices.
I'm looking for a workflow similar to the following:
- Click on "slope" tool.
- Click on point A, then click on point B.
- Dialogue box displays the straight-line slope between point A and point B.
I've been looking for an existing solution to accomplish this, and have come up empty handed.