I have land cover map for two different time periods 2000 and 2010. I want determine the land use change intensity across space. That is, a spatial distribution/pattern of how the various land use types changes within the two time periods. Which areas/pixels have the highest change. I also want to show the change in ha, i.e. high and low value. Any suggestion on how to go about this using ARCGIS?


Sounds like you could use Raster Calculator. Once you create a new output, you might want to use some form of Raster Relcass tools to classify the results of your first output, depending on what your criteria are.

  • yeah, I have tried using the raster calculator but it's not giving me what I want. it showed which areas increased and which areas decreased but what I want is the intensity of the change across space. Areas with higher increase and areas with lower increase. I want something like a grid based change intensities – Aisha May 10 '16 at 3:19
  • Have you tried Focal Statistics? – alexGIS May 10 '16 at 4:35
  • Thank you for your response. No I haven't tried that. I am a little new to ArcGIS. I started using ArcGIS just about 3months. Can u explain further? In an article that did/calculated the land use intensity, this is the procedure they claim to use: "to further calculate the spatial distribution of LUCC intensity, we used sampling blocks (5 × 5 km) to intersect with the land use map, and input the major land use type information into each grid. Finally, the grid-based change intensities were calculated." BUT I do not seem to understand them. Is it the same as Focal statistics? – Aisha May 10 '16 at 5:29
  • In addition, I am working with a classified land cover data – Aisha May 10 '16 at 5:34
  • Learn about these tools: desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/tools/spatial-analyst-toolbox/… – alexGIS May 12 '16 at 0:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.