Is there a standard name for a latitude/longitude pair? I ask because a lot of mapping APIs (e.g., Google Maps, Mapbox, MapQuest) represent them using data structures named LatLng. That naming is very to-the-point but it just seems lazy.

Meanwhile, other libraries (e.g., OSM, Proj.4, JTS, ArcGIS, PostGIS, Apple Maps) refer to them as "coordinates" or "points." Is there one particular term that is more accurate than the rest for describing a point on the globe that is created from/represented by a latitude and longitude?

closed as primarily opinion-based by Vince, PolyGeo Oct 11 '16 at 21:33

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    I think you'll find that this is more a matter of opinion than fact. My preference is to call it a "longitude/latitude" pair, so that the ordinates are in X-Y order, but then there's Z and M values, which aren't captured... – Vince Oct 11 '16 at 20:38