I'm working with ArcMap 10.2. So, it's not a duplicate of "Displaying elevation profile and storing DEM elevation back to KML line using QGIS?". I have a linear shapefile that has only one element (a river). I have also a DEM. I would like to use my shapefile to make an elevation profile. As it is very long and detailed I really don't want to re-draw it. Suggestions?
If you have the 3D Analyst extension, this is pretty easy:
- Make a 3D line out of your line shapefile with Interpolate Shape (use the DEM as Input Surface)
- Add your 3D shapefile to ArcMap
- Add the 3D Analyst toolbar (Customize > Toolbars > 3D Analyst)
- Select your line feature with the Select Features button
- Click the Profile Graph button in the 3D Analyst toolbar. You're done!
More info on creating 3D profiles on the page Fundamentals of creating profile graphs.