Anyone know if there's some secret magic parameters that need to be set for the Extend and Trim (Editing Toolbox) tools in ArcMap to run properly?
I have a dataset of about 2000 "interior" lines which have been systematically separated from their surrounding "exterior" lines, and need to be extended or trimmed in order to reconnect with their borders.
I can do this manually one each line using Extend/Trim in the Advanced Editing toolbar, but as I need to do 2000+ records (plus a possible 16 000 for another project) I really need to do it in batch mode. This would mean using the Extend/ Trim tools from the Editing Toolbox. However, I can't seem to get these tools to actually run properly.
When I run Extend (Editing Toolbox) the tool runs 'successfully' in about 0.45 s with no error messages, but doesn't actually do anything. I have several test areas where I have measured the distance of the gap between the line that needs to be extended and the next line, these gaps are 0.5-0.8m maximum. I have set the Extend distance to various lengths such as 1.0m, 1.5m, 2.0m, as well as leaving it null, which should extend all lines to the next nearest feature. It still does nothing, the lines in my test areas do not appear to be altered at all. I've read through the ArcGIS documentation and a variety of forum posts, and I still can't figure out what I'm missing. I've had a similar lack of results when using the Trim tool.
Things I have already tried:
- running tool in and out of an Edit session
- running tool with lines to be extended selected or un-selected
- extending lines from one feature class to another
- extending lines from one feature class to itself
- running tool manually from toolbox
- running tool programmatically through Python window
- running FindIdentical (Editing Toolbox tools) and DeleteIdentical (Editing Toolbox) in case there are any overlapping features which are causing confusion
- running tool with and without other feature classes present in the view
- checking the geoprocessing and tool Environments to ensure that processing extent, projection, linear measurement units, etc. are logical
Anyone have any idea what I might be missing?
I am using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2 with an Advanced license.