I've built a model in arcgis 10.5 ModelBuilder to represent a process that I need to run for thousands of polygons and input raster combinations. The problem is that to this model, for one polygon, takes approximately 8min 57 seconds to complete. When I work out how many iterations I will need, that is around 24 days of running time! Way too long. The input raster sizes are approximately 0.008 decimal degrees cell size covering the entire globe.
For each of the zonal statistics and raster calculator outputs I tried to change the output from writing to a geodatabase to "in_memory". But the model crashes after the first zonal statistic on the first polygon with a message about "out of memory".
Here is what the model is doing:
- For each country, calculated the total population (population raster)
- weight average the PM_raster based on the polygons total populations (=(pm_raster * (Population_raster/total_pop))
- Run zonal statistics to sum the weighted PM_weighted%n% and that is the average PM weighted on the countries population.
So my questions are:
- Can I make this model run quicker by using "in_memory"? Why did it crash at the first use of it in the model?
- Is there a quicker way to get these results away from using this model?