whenever i try to add a buffer to a certain layer it does that in degrees , i realized that i need to change the CRS but there are a ton of them what do i need to know to choose the correct CRS for that layer to change it into meters?

The area that I am working on is Baghdad in Iraq.

  • they are seperated into geographic and projected coodinate systems . you will nedd one from the projected type. for seach look at epsg.io to find one which can be applied in your area of interest – LaughU May 15 '17 at 8:31
  • The projected coordinate system to use will be one appropriate for where in the world your data is located. That is information that you should edit into your question. – PolyGeo May 15 '17 at 9:09
  • What is the CRS of the layer you're buffering? – Techie_Gus May 17 '17 at 7:16

Consider using an appropriate UTM zone for your region. UTM has a linear measurement unit in meters which will work with QChainage (as per your other question). Alternatively, if their is a national mapping agency for your region that has specified a CRS (e.g. for the UK it would be OSGB), use that (so long as it has meters as the unit of measurement).

You can use this facility to search for potential CRS for a given area (draw your area on the map and when you close the popup the coordinates are entered in the form for you - then click search). You will get a lot of answers but it can help narrow the field and each suggestion has a link to its documentation.

And/OR refine your question to stae your geographic area of interest and you'll get a better answer.

  • I was referring to the way the UTM grid divides up the world into 6 degree portions - but since I didn't go into detail that was confusing so I've removed the comment - it's not really relevant anyway. – MappaGnosis May 15 '17 at 10:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.