Trips on the globe
I have a large number of trips, each containing one to five stops from origin to destination. Each stop is given with geo coordinates.
I would like to transform all trips to a Cartesian system so that:
- Origin is in 0,0
- Destination is in 1,0
- the relative distance of all other stops of each trip to origin and destination is kept
How can I achieve this?
- Is there a standard way to do this kind of transformation?
- If yes: Does it have an established name?
- Is there a similar transformation with an established name (and algorithm/implementation)?
- Can you recommend packages in Python or R to do this?
I want to use this transformation for a plot to get insights in the general shape of the trips.