I'm looking for a free tool to convert the cylindrical projection map of the Earth's surface that you can get from Nasa (under the Blue Marble project): http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_cat.php?categoryID=1484

to a cubic projection like so: http://www.progonos.com/furuti/MapProj/Normal/ProjPoly/Foldout/Cube/cube.html

I'd appreciate any assistance...

  • You don't say what GIS you are using, but ArcGIS has a cubic projection built-in. What GIS are you using? Apr 30 '12 at 11:15
  • I'm not using any GIS packages -- I don't really have the resources to use ArcGIS, which is why I mentioned I was looking for a free tool.
    – Pris
    Apr 30 '12 at 21:58

Pris, there is another free softwaretool (for windows, mac and linux!) with a convient gui to create the desired projection with just a few simple mouseclicks. The tool is: g.projector, beside this projection (gmomic cubed square) it supports about 80 other projections!!

download here: http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/gprojector/

enter image description here

  • wow, this looks like a fantastic tool... great find
    – Pris
    May 20 '12 at 19:24
  • Any idea how to do the reverse? (Given 6 cube sides, render a cylindrical projection) Oct 2 '15 at 18:56

I've found a free tool to convert map images back and forth between different projections. It seems pretty powerful and I was easily able to convert a cylindrical normal projection into a gnomonic cubic (which is what I was looking for).

The tool is available here: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~arcus/mmps/

A specific example of how to use the tool to do the conversion is here: http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/textures.html#2.1.2


this seems to be a special case of a interrupted projection. Although I never used the software personally (a bit expensive for a hobby-cartographer like me, but to be honest there is also a deeply reduced price for personal/noncommerical usage!) I am pretty sure this can be done with Geocart, but perhaps not with one or two mouseclicks. You should contact the developer dan Strebe, who is an authority for projections. http://www.mapthematics.com/ maybe - as this is more a cartographic than a gis question - you should also post this at http://www.cartotalk.com, a good forum for cartographers or ask mr. furuti for furhter advise. he is a very nice guy, who gave me some advice some time ago

  • Thank you for the reply. I'll look into Geocart and try posting on CartoTalk as well.
    – Pris
    Apr 30 '12 at 21:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.