I have read the questions about creating heatmaps but I cannot find the Heatmap Plugin in any of the repositories or using the fetch python plugins, it simply is not there. Could someone please tell me how to install it.
I suppose you have the current standard version Wroclaw 1.74
Please read this post by underdark (in the comments) http://underdark.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/mapping-density-with-hexagonal-grids/ she writes: "Yes, if you have current QGIS Trunk installed, you can activate a “Heatmap” plugin. It will show up in Raster menu."
While @Kurt came up with the basis of the answer, I think it is worth having the process for obtaining the QGIS Developer Trunk shown explicitly to directly answer @Nick's question of how to install.
This is copied from my comment above:
The easiest way to install the QGIS Trunk, along with standard QGIS, is likely using the OSGeo4W Installer.
- Run the setup program, choose "Advanced Install"
- Click through until you reach "Select Packages".
- Expand the "Desktop Default"
- Click on both the "qgis" and "qgis-dev" items until the "New" column reflects the same version number as "Current".
- Hit next and this will continue on to install both versions.