I have the zipped file toLabeledLayer-1.0.zip and want to install and use it. I am using QGIS 2.18.6. I have unzipped the file and copied it into .qgis2\python\plugins as suggested here but it does not appear in the plugin manager. I have also copied to C:\Program Files\QGIS 2.18\apps\qgis\python\plugins and I have also tried to add the source as a repository under settings in the Plugin Manager as suggested in Section 1.3 of this page. Can anyone explain how to install this plugin to me? Does it not work on this version of QGIS?
looks very similar to this recent question.
I'd recommend installing the plugin using plugin manager, if you can.
If that fails, some tips I've found for downloading plugins from zip files extracted into the .qgis2/python/plugins folder
- restart QGIS. New plugins are only found when QGIS starts up
- you will still need to use Plugin Manager to install a new plugin added in this way. It will show up in the list of available plugins, but will not be installed (not checked).
- if it's tagged as experimental, you'll need to make sure you allow experimental plugins
- if you make changes to a a repo xml file, under Plugins > Manage and Install Plugins > Settings > Plugin Repositories, you can use the Reload repository button to reload that repo file.
If none of those work, it's possible that the minimum/maximum version tags mean that that the plugin won't work for your qgis version.
I don't do this very often, I find this only needs to be done if
- i need to downgrade to an older version of a plugin from plugins.qgis.org when a newer version is broken
- i need to reinstall one of my own personal plugins which I previously uninstalled