I've searched around for a freely available global bedrock geology data set, but I have yet to find one. Anyone come across such dataset?
Here is a list of useful links:
- certmapper.cr.usgs.gov - ESRI SHP, WMS - World Geologic Maps Data Downloads. This page provides access to data from various USGS World Geologic Maps.
- catalog.data.gov - ESRI SHP, WMS and other - Here you will find data, tools, and resources to conduct research, develop web and mobile applications, design data visualizations, and more. Quite scattered database but you can find generalized geology of continents and then merge it together.
- orrbodies.com - MapInfo TAB - divided into countries - Compilation of digital databases from various forms of hardcopy regional and mine based exploration data.
- earthenv.org - NetCDF - Global, remote-sensing supported environmental layers for assessing status and trends in biodiversity, ecosystems, and climate
- onegeology-geonetwork.brgm.fr - WMS/WFS - OneGeology material, which is defined as data, mapping, map extracts, illustrations, images (but not including institutional logos) which are available on the OneGeology website, is freely available for all uses.
- mrdata.usgs.gov - WMS/WFS - General geologic map of the world - World geology compiled by the Geological Survey of Canada at approximately 1:35,000,000 scale, published there as Open File Report 2915.