I need X to be Y and Y to be X (switching lat/long) within the polygon shapefile. If it were a point shapefile I know I could simply reverse the lat/long or x/y parameter and import from a table. I'm not sure how to do something similar with a polygon layer. Is there any editing tool that would accomplish this? I have QGIS and ArcMap 9.3 ArcInfo licensing available. Its projected as WGS 1984.

I'm working with a large polygon file so manually changing it would be very tedious. Any thoughts on how to do this?

  • Do you have some sample data you could like to so people could have a better idea of what you are starting with and what you need? – RyanDalton May 24 '12 at 19:09
  • Makes me wonder why Warp is constrained to only work with rasters. Otherwise it might be handy in this situation. – Kirk Kuykendall May 24 '12 at 19:28
  • It is data that needs to be overlaid on a layer of US states polygons and is roughly a bunch of polygons around major cities (so tampa is in the northwest and vancouver washington is southeast if you can visualize that). Megadrofan's answer below is exactly what I needed to get this to work. I believe it essential flips the lat/long of every single vertex of every polygon. – user1397044 May 24 '12 at 19:35

There is no out of box solution in ArcGIS. But you can use scripts to achieve this. Try this form arcscripts catalog http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/Geoprocessing-Model-and-Script-Tool-Gallery/details?entryID=DDFDC6B9-1422-2418-7FA8-E61F0683523D

  • Link found to be dead. – FredFury Jul 26 at 11:24

For QGIS, to achieve this effect, just use the SWAP XY plugin available in the extensions in current QGIS (2.12 at the answer time)

  • Plugin does not seem to be available in QGIS 3.4.6, you can find the plugin here: plugins.qgis.org/plugins/swapXY Probably will need a python 2 environment to get this running. – FredFury Jul 26 at 12:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.