0

We use shared mxd files on a network. Several users have older versions of Arcmap (10.0 specifically) that are no longer under ESRI maintenance. One of the mxds that we use is used by several users. One user opens the project and everything is fine but another user (user 2) opens the same project and the imagery does not align with the layers in the project. This is the same project that everyone in the organization uses but only this one user sees this issue (consistently the same person; aka user 2). The vector layers are in one space and the imagery is in another location. I tried removing the user's Normal.mxt file and that also did not fix the problem. I have also tried starting with a blank mxd and adding layers in. Something about this one SID mosaic image for this one user (and only this one user) is problematic. The raster is not in the GDB it is in a folder with an SDW file, an xml (for the sid) and another xml file for the aux.

I really don't understand this because the data frame, vector layers, and imagery are all in the same state plane coordinate system (MD FIPS 1900 in units of Feet). But the most puzzling thing is (as I mentioned above), no other users experience this. We have also been using this image since early in 2015. It previously worked fine for the user who is now experiencing this problem. I figure it is a long shot and the question is likely unable to be reproduced but if anyone has seen anything like this and would like to comment or demonstrate with an answer, it could prove very useful to me.

enter image description here

Coordinate System Info: NAD_1983_StatePlane_Maryland_FIPS_1900_Feet WKID: 2248 Authority: EPSG

Projection: Lambert_Conformal_Conic False_Easting: 1312333.333333333 False_Northing: 0.0 Central_Meridian: -77.0 Standard_Parallel_1: 38.3 Standard_Parallel_2: 39.45 Latitude_Of_Origin: 37.66666666666666 Linear Unit: Foot_US (0.3048006096012192)

Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_North_American_1983 Angular Unit: Degree (0.0174532925199433) Prime Meridian: Greenwich (0.0) Datum: D_North_American_1983 Spheroid: GRS_1980 Semimajor Axis: 6378137.0 Semiminor Axis: 6356752.314140356 Inverse Flattening: 298.257222101

I noticed that in my image properties the spatial reference is unset but the user that is having the issue has the following image properties including units of meters which is incorrect. The units are feet (e.g. the 0.5 cell size since this is 6" imagery).

enter image description here

  • Is the raster stored in the geodatabase ? If yes, what type of geodatabase? – BBG_GIS Nov 16 '17 at 16:27
  • no it's in a folder (I edited the question). – jbchurchill Nov 16 '17 at 16:29
  • How big is the offset? 1 pixel or hundreds of metres? – Hornbydd Nov 16 '17 at 16:36
  • 1
    1. You might try renaming the user's entire ESRI application data folder to see if that fixes things. If not you might try renaming the ESRI folders in the Registry after backing it up. These are frequent first fixes tried if you call ESRI tech support. 2. A long shot but I've seen this with tifs. You might check to see if the sid has georeferencing information in its header that is different from the world file. All your other users might be relying on the header (the default I think in ArcMap options) but this person may have their ArcMap set to using the world file. – johns Nov 16 '17 at 17:31
  • 1
    One possibility is that the problematic computer can't find the geoferencing information for the SID. It may have the coordinate system, but the actual SID extents are showing as 0,0 to xmaxcell, ymaxcell. Or it's reading the units as meters rather than feet. – mkennedy Nov 16 '17 at 18:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.