I've unfortunately experienced a version control issue between offices where one person was editing an older version of a polygon shapefile. Now I need to reconcile those edits into the current version. I've noticed that ESRI has a great tool for identifying polyline changes between shapefiles with the Detect Features Changes tool. However, it doesn't appear that a similar tool exists for polygons.

Any suggests for how I can quickly identify which polygons have been edited? Keep in mind, there are over a thousand polygons. And no, I am not on an enterprise GIS with versioning.

  • 1
    You are asking for a ESRI tool or for what GIS software? – BERA Jan 3 '18 at 19:58
  • ESRI, if possible. I rarely use QGIS these days. I realize there may not be a simple solution for this. – J. Frost Jan 3 '18 at 20:37
  • That could very well do the job. I'll give it a try soon. Thank you! – J. Frost Jan 3 '18 at 20:58

If the changes are not too extensive, the Symmetrical Difference tool can help you quickly identify differences. The results are polygons representing areas covered by one shapefile or the other, but not both.

  • That works beautifully for my situation. Thank you! – J. Frost Jan 3 '18 at 21:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.