Tippecanoe is the tool I always use for converting Shapefiles/GeoJSONs to Mapbox vector tiles in PBF format, for rendering in Mapbox-GL-JS. But it doesn't seem ideal: its primary use case seems to be processing enormous point datasets such as tweets which means:
- It focuses on points, not lines or polygons.
- Many of its settings are focused on determining which features to drop.
There are other limitations in practice:
- its processing of line and polygon features can be really ugly,
- its "base zoom" model is not well explained, so that working through its dozens of configuration parameters is pretty hit and miss.
- although it has some per-feature properties like
minzoomit doesn't have a way to vary which properties are included per level
- its functioning is pretty opaque, there's not much information generated about what choices were made at each level, how "heavy" the tiles are overall, etc.
So my question is: are there other ways to convert vector files to vector tiles that work better for polygons and lines?