I was trying to convert a very simple Erdas Imagine AOI file (its a single polygon) into a shapefile and was mostly finding documentation on the inverse (SHP to AOI). I was trying to follow the steps listed here, but keep getting the following "There are No Selected Elements". Below is a workflow that worked for me in case it is helpful for anyone else.
There might be an easier workflow, but this worked for me:
- Open AOI (that you wish to convert to a shapefile) in 2D View (table of contents)
- Create new shapefile (File > New > Vector Layer) Choose Polygon shape > OK
- Select/Highlight AOI file in table of contents
- Use Select tool (AOI tab > drawing tab) to select features from AOI you wish to copy
- Click Copy icon (Vector Tab > Drawing > Copy)
- Select/Highlight newly created shapefile
- Select Paste from Selected Object icon (next to Paste)
- Click continue on attention dialog box that pops up
- Remove shapefile (right click in table on contents > Remove) and select to save changes.
With your polygon AOI already opened in IMAGINE.
Go to File tab -> New Vector Layer -> create a new shapefile layer
Select the new shapefile layer in the Contents window (the Contents list on left side)
Go to Drawing tab -> select Enable Editing
Reselect/highlight the AOI in the Contents window -> select Copy
Reselect the shapefile layer in the Contents window -> select "PASTE FROM SELECTED OBJECT" (it's the icon to the right of the "Paste" icon)
With the shapefile still selected, Save the new shapefile.