Many world maps, especially old ones, often have shaded country outlines in a particular color. The saturation becomes weaker towards the inside of the country and is strongest at its borders. Here is an example of what I mean:

enter image description here

Is there a correct term for such a map style?

This style does not just appear in historical maps, but for example also in this National Geographic map of Europe from 1962.

  • 1
    I think it's called an antique style political map.
    – f.thorpe
    Commented Feb 22, 2018 at 6:25
  • 3
    You should follow the Geography Stack Exchange proposal and post this as an example question there -- it's a perfect candidate for a geography SE, and the proposal could use a bit more support.
    – Pont
    Commented Feb 22, 2018 at 8:50

1 Answer 1


In cartography they are called "tint bands", or sometimes, a "verge".

In GIS software it's a "shapeburst fill" (QGIS) or "buffered gradient fill" (ArcGIS)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.