A better option for labeling would be to run a definition query on the River Shapefile.
- Right-click the layer and go to properties
- Select the "Definition Query" Tab in the window the pops up (7th Tab
from the left)
Click Query Builder
Choose a query as you would for creating a selection.
As an example, if the Field you using for the selection is [Riv_Type] and you only want Perennial then you would have your query builder set up like this:
This will remove all Rivers which are not Perennial, and allow you to label the rivers accordingly.
You could also use the "
Label Expression" to still show all rivers on the map, but only label those meeting your criteria.
- In the layer properties, seslect the "Labels" tab - 8th Tab from the
- Click the "Expression" button - midway in this form.
- Select the Advanced tick box.
- The Label expression will change slightly.
- In the Text box set up the expression.
Using the same example from above
Function FindLabel ( [Riv_Type] )
If [Riv_Type] = "Perennial" then
FindLabel = [Riv_Type]
FindLabel = ""
This will keep all the rivers on the map, but will only label the Perennial Rivers in this case.
Make sure you set the "Parser" to VBScript