2

I encountered a disruptive problem while following a step-by-step guide of the Land cover supervised classification from a document accessed from https://arset.gsfc.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/land/webinars/Advanced_Land_Classification/supervised_exercise_v2.pdf

Chronology:

I downloaded a Landsat 8 image from the Glovis website – [Path 43, row 33] for date 22nd September, 2015.

I unzipped the folder it was saved in to extract the contents using 7-zip folder.

1st Purpose was to convert the image to Top of Atmosphere (TOA) reflectance

In the Pre-processing icon of the Semi-automatic Classification(SCP) panel, in the part ‘Directory containing Landsat bands’ I put the folder containing the 11 bands of my downloaded Landsat 8 image.

In the ‘Select MTL file’ I manually input my .MTL text file that is the same directory folder of my Landsat 8 bands (it didn’t appear automatically as the documents says in pg.2, I don’t know why).

My metadata appeared anyway, for all 11 bands. I clicked the run icon at the bottom right to run the process.

It really took some time to run in my Windows 7 Starter 32 bit Dell Laptop; using Qgis 2.18.11 ‘Las Palmas’. Anyway, this is where the problems started.

I then proceeded to click on the ‘Band set’ icon located at the top of the SCP toolbar.(pg.3 of the exercise).

Bands 2-7 appeared, in tandem with the exercise. I clicked on ‘Create raster of band set (stack bands) then I clicked on the ‘Run’ icon at bottom right.

This process didn’t take long as the other one of converting to TOA reflectance.

However, the result, which is supposed to be a Bstack_raster.tif image was the astonishing bit. I got a Bstack_raster.tif image alright, but the issue was that it was pitch black.

The Problem:

My Bstack_raster.tif image was pitch black. So I right-clicked it and went to its Properties section – to ‘Style’ in order to display it in a usable color combination.

I put band 5 in the red band, band 4 in the green band and band 3 in the blue band. My contrast enhancement was set to ‘Stretch to MinMax’.

I then clicked ‘Load’ (in the section under Load min/max values) and then clicked ‘Ok’ but my Bstack_raster.tif image was still pitch black.

From my personal overview, the reason is because all my ‘min’ values in the red, green and blue band sections read ‘nan’. Yet, I have followed each step diligently in the exercise.

Troubleshooting efforts:

I have tried to backtrack all my steps above to see any errors but none identified so far.

I have repeated the same process thrice with the same results.

I have followed all the steps of pg.1-4 of the exercise without omission.

Problem Statement:

Please advice to convert the pitch black Bstack_raster.tif image to a usable color combination as shown in pg.4 of the exercise. A converted image of TOA is detrimental for my further uses.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.