From what you have described it sounds like you are looking to identify areas that are perhaps "hilly" in comparison with the surrounding area.
You could try the following - assuming you have access to a "Spatial Analyst" license.
1) Take your surface and multiply it by "-1" in the raster calculator. This will invert the surface, making the valleys hills and the hills valleys.
2) Run the "Fill Sinks" tool ("Fill" in 10.2) from Spatial Analyst -> Hydrology Toolbox. Set the Z-limit to something high, like 100m.
3) Take the Raster created in Step 1 and Subtract the Raster from Step 2.
4) Your output will now be a raster of values
greater than 0 ;
less than 0. Run the Reclass tool assigning a value of 1 to all 0 values and 2 for values which are either greater than 0 and less than 0. Your output will be an integer raster of 1s and 2s.
5) Convert this raster to polygon, then delete all the polygons with a value of 1. The 2s are areas with some type of topography feature.