My goal is quite straightforward: display maps created and mantained in Google My Maps as a layer in QGIS.
The way I thought about doing this is the following:
- Write a Python script that acts as some sort of server;
- Get this server script to fetch data from Google My Maps (as KML) and serve this data somehow to QGIS, most probably using WFS API or similar;
- Add the server address (something like
http://localhost:1234I guess) as a readonly layer in QGIS.
Then, I could edit my maps using Google My Maps, but would be able to keep displaying their current state in QGIS.
So my questions are:
- Does this scenario make sense? Is this a viable thing to do?
- Is this "webserver" approach the best one? Should I be aiming at writing some sort of plugin instead?
- Is it something that has already been done before?