I am looking for a "linearized overview" map (as in the figure below) of the Brahmaputra river. I don't know the exact name of this type of map. Do you have any suggestion on what I should look for, and where?

enter image description here

closed as off-topic by Vince, ahmadhanb, Jochen Schwarze, LaughU, whyzar Feb 13 at 13:46

  • This question does not appear to be about geographic information systems (GIS) within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    This a more geography than GIS, but in pavement management this can be called a "strip map". It's hard to believe a google won't provide an answer. – Vince Feb 13 at 10:13
  • 6
    Questions relating to geography without a clear GIS component are off-topic in GIS SE. – Vince Feb 13 at 10:18
  • 2
    Most likely it is a map-scheme of comparative analysis of the lengths and tortuosity of deep-water rivers of the European-Asian region...:-), – Cyril Feb 13 at 11:30

Your one liner river map looks like a simplification of complex hydrological flow of water. In power engineering that type of map sometime referred as single-line diagram/SLD. You can even add map after the words.

At present, mapping of electricity transmission and distribution lines is generally described in the form of this type diagram. SLD itself is just a schematic picture of the circuit (three-phase power system) from electricity source (generator) to the final load / user. These diagrams are certainly very helpful for knowing the logic of electrical circuits through its forming components.

One important thing: elements on the diagram do not represent the physical size or location of the electrical equipment as also described in this wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-line_diagram

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.