I want to calculate the volume between a route alignment and a raster. I have the centerline of the route. The centerline is between point A and B as it is presented in the figure below. Point A and B have X,Y,Z so the centerline has a specific slope. Route width is 8 meters as I buffered (Yellow polygon).

Do you know a method to calculate the valume between the polygon and the DEM below?

Or do you know any other way of calculating the volume?

I can use both arcpy or ArcToolbox.

enter image description here

  • Calculate end points of polyline and convert them to 3d points. Create 3d line from them. Convert polygon to line and interpolate it using your Dem. Create tin, etc. – FelixIP Mar 10 at 17:25
  • I think if he interpolates the line with the DEM, the volume should be equal to zero... and it's not what he wants. – Yannick Arthur DOUNGMO Mar 11 at 18:43
  1. Enable the 3D analyst extension

  2. In ArcToolbox go to 3D Analyst Tools > Functional surface > Surface volume and just fill the tool accordingly

For more explanation, just watch this 5minutes video

  • how do I define a polygon with slope? – Ebola Mar 10 at 5:53
  • You said points A and B have their coordinate in X,Y,Z and the road is buffered at 8m. You can compute the polygon slope by yourself. Lets assume that A coordinates are (Xa,Ya,Za) and B coordinates are (Xb,Yb,Zb): Then the slope is (Zb-Za)/(Xb-Xa) – Yannick Arthur DOUNGMO Mar 10 at 7:40
  • The polyline has slope. But, when I buffer it to get a 8 meter width polygon, the polygon has no slope and I cannot see it 3D in arcscence. – Ebola Mar 10 at 9:51
  • Calculation of line slope is wrong. – FelixIP Mar 10 at 17:52
  • Sorry, I think if he applies your methodology the volume will be zero because the layer is an interpolation from the DEM. I think my answer is correct – Yannick Arthur DOUNGMO Mar 11 at 18:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.