Convert vertices to a poly line describing the general route to have 1 line describing the center line of a river.
- The whole process has to be automated.
- The raster can contain gaps.
The initial input is a raster containing a scan of a proposed river. This scan is of very low resolution (see yellow resulting pixels in picture). I have processed this as follows:
- r.mfilter: High pass filter to sharpen the river using
- r.reclass to reclass all non-river pixels to NULL
- r.to.points to get the vertices of the raster cells
Now I want to connect these points to get a generalized (smoothed) line describing the points. I do not have a specific network to do a network analysis. Converting points to lines results in too many lines. Also, the nodes number does not correspond completely to the desired trajectory.
Any recommended approach or a different approach altogether to reach the desired result?