What topics do you think are essential in an introduction for QGIS?
The target audience is those with zero or rudimentary knowledge in mapping and geospatial software.
Have you looked at the "gentle GIS introduction" found on the QGIS website? Might be a good starting place to look for topics.
The address is:
It's found towards the bottom of the page.
This beginner's course offered by GBD Consult might be a good reference. Their course covers the following topics:
- Installation Overview and Applications of Quantum GIS
- Introduction to the Graphical User Interface
- Data management and fundamentals on projections
- Integrating and analyzing vector and raster data
- Attribute management and digitizing
- Working with the core plug-ins
- Integrating and working with external plugins
- Exchange of data and layout printable maps
There is a presentation for beginners about Qgis features that I made for an Webnar, the link is here: http://mundogeo.com/webinar/osgeo/osgeo-pablo.pdf . It's in Portuguese but there is little text.
Editable version: http://ubuntuone.com/4Z1SToBnm4XvvKNIh56YPe
The topics that I suggest:
Micha Silver has published a complete tutorial for qgis beginners (11 excercises), see overview here: http://www.surfaces.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Exercises.pdf and the complete course materials here: http://www.surfaces.co.il/?p=872
Here's a 1 day course that I think pretty good:
We're looking for long answers that provide some explanation and context. Don't just give a one-line answer; explain why your answer is right, ideally with citations. Answers that don't include explanations may be removed.
I would especially like to learn QGIS/Python tools and methods that ArcGIS users accomplish with Spatial Analyst tools, such as: