What I'm working on:
I'm building an app that is mostly related to geodata. I consider having a lazy filing database, so it will be filling while the users add new cities to their profiles. I'm looking for a few geo services that can provide geo services for that purpose.
What I'm looking for:
- autocomplete (search city by name)
- nearby search (search city by lat/long)
- get full details of the city (name, country, popularity/importance etc)
What I have already checked:
- Geonames (not bad solution, but data structure is not accurate, autocomplete/nearby-search works not so good)
- Google Maps (it's ok, but there is not enough data of the city, so I can't even get some fields like popularity or importance)
Mostly I consider a free solution (for a start), but it's ok to have a paid solution if the price is ok.
According to the last suggestions, I got the point:
if you want to have a free solution - do it yourself (prepare your own geo server)
Actually it's ok for me, but I consider to have it in the future, but for now, I'm looking for a fast solution (already hosted search engine), so I don't need to play with that on my side.
So what are the best search engines to start with (without hosting it locally)?