I am interested in creating animations from observations or model predictions and then displaying these animations in a web-based viewer such as OpenLayers.
The best example I have found of this functionality is at:
In my opinion, the user interface is very unintuitive. The steps required to get an animated map are:
- Select a layer from the tree browser on the left.
- Click on a day in the calendar on the right.
- Click on the link labeled "first frame" which is to the left of the calendar.
- Choose another day from the calendar and click on the link labeled "last frame".
- A "create animation" link will pop up- click on that to generate the animation.
What open source toolkits are available with support for visualizing and animating time series? On the front-end I am looking to display the results in a Google Maps-style viewer as that is what most people are familiar with. The back-end is wide open.