Is there a name for the shape of the area defined by two sets of geographic coordinates, for example by a northwestern and southeastern corner? In other words, the shape bounded by two degrees of longitudes and two degrees of latitude? Since it's on a sphere/ellipsoid, it's not a rectangle or a trapezoid. Is there another good name for it then? A quadrangle? I've looked on wikipedia, google and stackexchange, but couldn't find anything.

  • 4
    spherical trapezoid... May 15, 2020 at 13:49
  • 4
    may be bounding box?
    – Ian Turton
    May 15, 2020 at 15:44
  • 2
    Since you seem to be the first one to express the need to name it, let's call it a "Niaedu shape" :-)
    – julien
    May 15, 2020 at 16:56
  • I would say it depends on how you define the boundaries that span the limits, let alone how they wrap in longitude
    – mdsumner
    May 16, 2020 at 4:50

2 Answers 2


A quadrangle?

Yes, it is named: spheroidal quadrangle.


More informally than a spherioidal quadrangle, a much more common and useful term is "bounding box", sometimes shortened to "bbox".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.