0

Folder with multiple raster filesI have a folder with multiple raster files (.asc) which contains the biomass of different fish species (e.g., Anglerfish, Bathydemersal etc) for different years (e.g., 00012, 00024, 00036 etc) I want to calculate the mean per species using R So far i have done the following:

files_path <- "~/new/asc/" #path where my files are    
all_files <- list.files(files_path,
                            full.names = TRUE,
                            pattern = ".asc$") #take all the ascii files in    
files_stack <- stack(all_files) #stack them together    

Here comes the problem: mean_ <- calc(files_stack, mean) code makes one mean for the entire files_stack. Mean for all the species in my stack

I want to have mean per each species. Any tips on how to do it?

6
  • Which software are you working with? – Erik Jul 7 '20 at 10:09
  • Could you please describe your raster data? For example, what do the pixel values indicate for each raster? Are you looking for the average pixel value for each raster? – Aaron Jul 7 '20 at 12:07
  • When you say "mean_ <- calc(files_stack, mean) code makes one mean for the entire files_stack" do you mean you get one single value out? Because you should get a raster with each pixel as the mean of each pixel in the stack. – Spacedman Jul 7 '20 at 12:07
  • Aaron, I would like to have a new raster per species where each cell is the mean of those specific cells for all those years for a particular species.. – Chiara Piro Jul 7 '20 at 12:48
  • Exactly Spacedman, I get a raster where each pixel is the mean of each pixel in the stack – Chiara Piro Jul 7 '20 at 13:24
0

Once you have a stack of rasters loaded, you can operate on groups of them using stackApply. You have to create a vector of the groups.

In your case the grouping is the species. Extract the species from the file name using some string processing. For example if your file paths are like this:

> all_files
 [1] "./EcospaceMapBiomass-Anglerfish-00012.asc"   
[etc]
 [7] "./EcospaceMapBiomass-Anglerfish-00084.asc"   
 [8] "./EcospaceMapBiomass-Bethydemersal-00012.asc"
 [9] "./EcospaceMapBiomass-Bethydemersal-00024.asc"
[10] "./EcospaceMapBiomass-Bethydemersal-00036.asc"
[etc]      
[18] "./EcospaceMapBiomass-Shark-00048.asc"        
[19] "./EcospaceMapBiomass-Shark-00060.asc"        
[20] "./EcospaceMapBiomass-Shark-00072.asc"        
[21] "./EcospaceMapBiomass-Shark-00084.asc"  

Then you can get the species by removing everything up to "mass-" with nothing, and then everything from the remaining "-" to the end with nothing. This will probably fail if you have a "-" in a species name. Check that. So this:

species = gsub("-.*.asc","",gsub(".*mass-","",all_files))

nets you:

> species
 [1] "Anglerfish"    "Anglerfish"    "Anglerfish"    "Anglerfish"   
 [5] "Anglerfish"    "Anglerfish"    "Anglerfish"    "Bethydemersal"
 [9] "Bethydemersal" "Bethydemersal" "Bethydemersal" "Bethydemersal"
[13] "Bethydemersal" "Bethydemersal" "Shark"         "Shark"        
[17] "Shark"         "Shark"         "Shark"         "Shark"        
[21] "Shark"    

You could also do this with strsplit or one of a number of other ways. However you do it, end up with a vector of species that match each item in your list of files.

Then stackApply.

> files_stack <- stack(all_files) 
> means = stackApply(files_stack, indices=species, fun=mean)
> means
class      : RasterBrick 
dimensions : 4, 4, 16, 3  (nrow, ncol, ncell, nlayers)
resolution : 0.25, 0.25  (x, y)
extent     : 0, 1, 0, 1  (xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax)
crs        : NA 
source     : memory
names      : index_Anglerfish, index_Bethydemersal, index_Shark 
min values :      0.006978279,         0.006978279, 0.006978279 
max values :        0.9034359,           0.9034359,   0.9034359 

means is now a brick with 3 layers, each one a map of the mean for a species, and the layer names give you the species. These are all identical because all my inputs were identical. Test with better simulated data to make sure this is actually correct, or make sure the answer with real data looks reasonable.

3
  • Ha, you just beat me to the punch with exactly the same answer. Good thing it is not a competition. – Jeffrey Evans Jul 7 '20 at 16:49
  • The only thing that I would add here is the use of list.files(getwd(), "asc$") to create the "all_files" object. If you are not in the directory that the files reside you can specify a path as the first argument and then use the full.names = TRUE argument to return the full paths but, then you have the directory separators, in addition to the dashes, to deal with when splitting the string. – Jeffrey Evans Jul 7 '20 at 17:06
  • fantastic! thank you @Spacedman, it worked perfectly!! – Chiara Piro Jul 7 '20 at 17:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.