In defining geography objects within software, I have things such as a City Area, which is an area defined by the bounds of a city, or a County Area, defined by the county boundary.

What is the proper term for an area defined by a center coordinate pair with a radius?

I thought circle might be appropriate, but wasn't sure since that circle is bent along the earth's surface. Is there a proper name for this?

  • 7
    Circle sounds fine to me. You could also call it a buffer, depending on your target audience. – BradHards Oct 22 '12 at 22:52
  • @BradHards, Sounds good, thanks Brad! I thought there was a chance I was over-complicating this. – Brad Oct 22 '12 at 22:54

"Circle" is overloaded and therefore ambiguous. Most often, this term refers to a circular boundary: a one-dimensional object. Mathematicians--who need to make careful distinctions like this--typically use "disk" (or its multidimensional generalization, "ball") when denoting the circle with its interior. The concept is very general: it applies to any metric space. This includes standard models of the earth's surface (including the sphere and ellipsoids).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.