Last night we were moving from point 'A' to point 'B'. We are quite familiar with the road way and the directions, but not so sure. So just for the confirmation we tried to use the Google maps and the Nokia maps (provides a better directions here in India). And not so surprisingly both the services failed to provide even near matching directions. We were just a half KM away (roadway tww lanes each side) from the destination and Google maps was like a destination is 27Km away. Nokia maps was a little closer with 11 Km of travel.
On this problem a little idea stroked back in my mind, Following are the details
- We all travel from some point 'A' to some point 'B' on a daily basis, and as we live in that region and/ or travel frequently on the same path we probably have found the shortest path for the destination.
- Generally 60% of us do carry a location aware device with us daily. Be it a Cell phone tablet or any such device with GPS capabilities.
- Here I am assuming that both point 'A' and point 'B' are well known points(on any map service google, apple microsoft any) and or we get some identification information about those points either from user or preinstalled devices or anything
- Is it possible to record the path/directions we took and share same with rest of the world. Other people would search for directions between point 'A' and point 'B' and we could return a shortest path we have recorded or a list of all.
- Is it doable?
- What all problems we may face here?