I have built my own OSM server of North America using switch2osm's Ubuntu 20.04 guide and all went well. Except when it comes to rendering tiles...or pre-rendering.
Here is the most recent completed rendering of a tile:
renderd: DEBUG: DONE TILE default 10 312-319 336-343 in 1886.877 seconds
Specs: Bare metal - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz (24 cores) 32GB RAM 1TB SATA sitting on our internal 10gig network
After some googling, I found this git page to help create indexes: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/master/indexes.sql
I also used the OSM Wiki page to tune Postgres to the following:
max_connections = 100
shared_buffers = 12GB
work_mem = 4GB
maintenance_work_mem = 10GB
autovacuum_work_mem = 1GB
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.95
effective_cache_size = 8GB
I have reached a point where I am not sure what I am doing wrong or what else I can do to aid in making it faster.